The hosting provider FirstVDS offers hosting to its customers at affordable prices: virtual dedicated servers, hosting for websites, and cloud infrastructure.
Initially, FirstVDS equipment was located in a data center with 60 racks. The DCImanager platform was used to manage it. The platform allows the following:
- Inventorying servers, switches, PDUs and monitoring their status,
- Managing the physical infrastructure remotely via IPMI,
- Automating routine tasks: carrying out equipment diagnostics,
- Provisioning a dedicated server through integration with the billing system.
However, the engineers faced technical difficulties:
- Traditional L2 network topology was used for the infrastructure, which made scaling difficult,
- The data center was running out of room.
FirstVDS team together with DCImanager developers were able to this problem. The infrastructure now uses a hybrid network topology. The equipment is located in two data centers, but the infrastructure works as a single system.